Friday, November 25, 2011

i'm gonna be like him, yeah

you would think that after doing nanowrimo for two years in open office (this thanksgiving, i am thankful for open source software and candy cane oreos. you know, in case you were wondering. oh, and my family. always, always my family.) i would finally learn that its word count lives in a fantasy world of its own and i shouldn't trust it. but did i learn? nope. and did i trust it? yup. and was i shocked to find that my actual word count was a thousand words less than my open office word count even though i shouldn't be? well, of course! how am i supposed to remember that open office counts curly quotes (the pretty " for those like my sister who don't know) as words. i mean, just because i have a whole dramatic realization every year does not mean that it should stick with me. right? right.

so i was just thinking that my blog might be easier to read if i wasn't constantly interrupting myself and switching between thoughts like a pinball machine. what do you think?

speaking of nothing i was talking about, november is almost over, and do you know what that means? (aside from the fact that rudolph the red nosed reindeer and frosty the snowman will take over tv networks and suddenly everyone on the street will get more stressed and obnoxious than usual of course.) it means that i get to go back to reading. i still have a stack of books that are just waiting for me to finish my nano, which looks like it will take the entire month this time, and i can't wait to get into them. oh, how i have missed my fictional worlds.

ew, that reminds me. the other day i was watching gone with the wind (i've said this before, but if you haven't read the book, go get it and read it now) and afterwards was trying to find a quote from the book online (i didn't find it :(. sad.) but anyway, i did find this quote:

For Ashley was born of a line of men who used their leisure for thinking, not doing, for spinning brightly colored dreams that had in them no touch of reality... He looked on people, and he neither liked nor disliked them. He looked on life and was neither heartened nor saddened. He accepted the universe and his place in it for what they were and, shrugging, turned to his music and books and his better world.

and i was struck with a horrible realization that i'm an ashley. and how awful is that? i have always been a rhett butler girl through and through. i hate ashley. but reading that line when i wasn't lost in the world of the book made me realize that i'm him. i do nothing but dream and read and listen to music and ew, i hate ashley.

*Cat's in the Cradle - Harry Chapin 

9 comments:

  1. Everyone is participating in nanowrimo. i was too, then i decided to quit due to my exams. argh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. anonymous hippopotamusNovember 25, 2011 at 8:03 PM

    hahahahah you're Ashley!!! thats so perfect! i dunno why i said 'thats so perfect' its just seemed like the right thing to say. lol but HILARIOUS that you're ashley :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. KWP: aw that sucks that you had to quit. did you get far in your novel? maybe you can finish it after november. i'm a huge procrastinator so noveling in exam time is the perfect thing for me to do, but i know a couple of people that just had too much going on to do nanowrimo too.

    anon hippo: ew it is not hilarious. it is very, very sad. i hate ashley.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. posts removed by the author always make me sad and kill me with curiosity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. anonymous hippopotamusNovember 26, 2011 at 10:43 PM

    me too...except change sad to mad

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't you get an email notification with the entire comment inside? Go check and tell us what it said. The curiosity is making my eye twitch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. omg, Lujain, that is seriously the smartest thing i've ever heard in the world. i feel so stupid for not realizing that myself. i feel like i'm overstepping some privacy boundaries or something here, but the comment just said that they were going to try nano next year. a bit disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't understand why ME would have removed that. I would have supported her decision. Power to you, ME. Verb up.

    ReplyDelete