Sunday, July 21, 2013

all my bags are packed, i'm ready to go

one of my favorite things about traveling in the summers is the airplane ride. i know a lot of people that would not agree, but i love them. so much. i love travel in general - bus rides, car rides, whatever. the longer the better - and airplanes are pretty high up on the list. i have had horrendous trips, of course. it would be naive of me to expect anything else. i mean, i have had at least two airplane rides a year for most of my life. sometimes more. there is no way that they could all be good. but the bad ones do not wipe out the good. i still love my airplanes. (i did learn that the saudi side of me has the right to brag that its airline is a million times better than the american side's.)

this year is the first in a very, very long time that i will not be going on an airplane. and that makes me sad. though i am partially (read: mostly) relieved to not have to deal with the familial obligations that come as a packaged deal with travel, and i fully appreciate the fact that i can actually go out and watch a movie and get ice cream whenever i want this summer (a post on my bad luck with movies coming soon), i want my airplane rides. i really, really do.

and i want a real airplane ride, too. none of that one hour flight to new york type of thing. i want my thirteen hour flight with two meals and my touchscreen movie screen and crossing time zones. i would seriously go to the desert for two days just for the airplane ride. (and then i could see some of the people i actually really want to see.)

you know how you get vouchers for free flights for life if something happens to the plane you're on? (i actually dunno if this is what happens outside of tv shows, but let's pretend.) yeah, i want those. but i don't want my plane to crash or anything. i need to find a survivor of a plane crash who got the free vouchers for life but is too traumatized to ever fly again. i would kindly take them off of their hands. so if you know anyone, feel free to send them my way.

*Leaving on a Jet Plane - Chantal Kreviazuk

No comments:

Post a Comment