Wednesday, July 24, 2013

why do all good things come to an end?

i don't know what came over me, but i just spent the past hour waking up from my academic hibernation. i sent out emails to several professors asking if they'd be a faculty reference for me because i suddenly find myself applying to be a mentor to international students in this special program mason has. i emailed the lady about the mentor position just to clarify exactly what would be required. i emailed people about renewing my job as a GTA for the computer forensics program next year. i emailed a student asking for information on his committee because a professor told me that he was doing a policy related dissertation and if they'll work with him without programming they might work with me. i emailed another professor about the new hire for the computer forensics program that everyone has been talking about, and not only did i get his contact information and set up a meeting with him for next week, but i also ended up in an email chat conversation with the professor i reached out to and am meting up with him early august. and suddenly, i find myself right back in the swing of things. i feel both relieved and slightly panicked. i kind of liked my little bubble of no responsibilities. oh well. deep breath.

of course, that took up time that i should have been noveling so now i need to go start on that. i have a little under nine thousand words to go before i call camp nano a success. i kind of feel too accomplished to do anything right now though (and i still need to clean the apartment which i have been finding reasons to postpone for the past few days).

in a couple of weeks my sister and her family and my grandmother will all be back in virginia to visit. looks like my summer of laziness and isolation is coming to an end. a little over a month of knitting, reading, writing, and tv. it was good while it lasted.

*All Good Things (Come to an End) - Nelly Furtado

No comments:

Post a Comment