Monday, March 30, 2009

Scotty liked all of the books that i recommended

Some of my favorite books that everyone should read. They're in no particular order, but you should read every last one of them.
  1. Hawkes Harbor by SE Hinton: "don't let it be dark... don't let it be dark..." I just finished rereading this book for the hundredth time. It's kinda different from her other books, in that it has more of a fantastical edge to it - it has a vampire character. She manages to make her vampire into a human without losing any of the spine-chilling horror inherent in vampire nature in a way that Stephanie Meyer can only dream about. Definitely my favorite vampire novel that isn't just a "vampire story." Plus, Hinton's writing style is always just amazing. If you haven't read her other books, read them NOW.

  2. Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell: "tomorrow is another day..." This is one of the books I have memorized from how many times I've read it. The length may be daunting to some, but I promise there's not a dull moment in the whole 1000+ pages. I love Rhett Butler. He's definitely one of my biggest fictional crushes. I've always admired Scarlet's strength and courage too. But Ashley needs to die.

  3. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins: "come to finish me off, sweetheart?" A relatively new book (came out in September) and from the YA section (i think the reading level was age 12) this book was fantastic. A very quick read. I picked it up and couldn't put it down until I had finished it a few hours later. The plot really draws you in. It can also be read on a variety of different levels - and the author actually intended this. It can be read as purely a love story, but also for thematic analyses. Lionsgate just bought the movie rights like a week ago so I'm super excited to see that when it comes out. Also excited to see who they pick for the characters.

  4. The Harry Potter Series by JK Rowling: "you're a wizard, Harry!" If you haven't heard of this, crawl out from under that rock you've been living under for the past decade and go die in a fire. If you have heard of this but refuse to read it, go die in a fire. If you're planning to read this or are not sure, get to your nearest library/bookstore NOW and read it. seriously. I think that this book has the most diverse fan base ever. Children, adults, males, females, english-speaking, non-english-speaking... Harry Potter fans cover them all. That's saying something.

  5. The Cider House Rules by John Irving: "goodnight you princes of maine, you kings of new england..." Though most people I know hate this book, I absolutely loved it. It's very pro-abortion and has a few scenes that you should be warned about before starting, but it was a really great book. It follows the character Homer hrough his whole life, which I always wanted a book to do. I heard the movie was good but refuse to watch it. They took out Melanie, a main character! How could any interpretation of the book leave her out when she had such a central part?

  6. The World According to Garp by John Irving: "imagining something is better than remembering something." Another Irving book that I loved. A little far-fetched and eccentric a lot of the time, with a few explicit scenes in it too, but the narrative style Irving has amazes me. And his take on reality is great.

  7. Enchantment by Orson Scott Card: "loving her won't make her love me..." One of Card's least known novels, but definitely my favorite. It's a twist on a modern fairy tale with a plot and characters that you actually want to read about it. Action, romance, fantasy... this book has it all and more.

  8. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald: "Gatsby turned out all right at the end..." A book that most people don't read just because it's assigned in school. Like Hinton, Fitzgerald's writing style is one of my favorites. Gatsby's timeless love for Daisy, the dreary helplessness of the time hanging down over everyone, the American dream... it all makes for a wonderful story. Read the rest of Fitzgerald's novels too. They are all awesome. This Side of Paradise. The Beautiful and the Damned. Tender is the Night. The Last Tycoon (he died before finishing this one).

  9. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte: "make my happiness - i will make yours." I love Rochester. I love Jane. This story is a classic and a book everyone should read. Jane is an orphan and leads a hard life as she struggles to find the love and happiness she deserves.

  10. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen: "nothing but our own vanity decieves us." Another great classic. All of Austen's books are worth a read. I chose this one for my list because Mr Darcy is another of my top fictional crushes. Elizabeth is also one of my favorite heroines. With two amazing characters and a great style of writing, you really can't go wrong. The movie was beautifully done as well.

  11. Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine: "Ella will always be obedient." A friend of mine in fourth grade introduced me to this book on a field trip. I remember the day perfectly. I devoured it and it has been one of my favorite books ever since. Though written for a young audience, I can still read this book over and over and enjoy it as much as the first time. The movie, while good, was nothing like the book.
*Tire Swing - Kimya Dawson

3 comments:

  1. Enchantment!

    No I did not readall of this. I just wanted to see which quote you chose for the book :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. as if it's a lot to read. and yeah thats practically the only book you've read from this list because you have become quite the literately challenged.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i didn't quite care for the great gatsby, but everything else on that list is excellent. i recommend persuasion if you haven't read it yet.

    ReplyDelete