Thursday, April 15, 2010

even when i'm old and grey, i'm gonna feel the way i do today 'cause you make me feel so young

i'm used to people thinking that i'm a lot younger than i really am when they meet me. i'm sure i've said that on this blog before so i'm not going to get into all the stories to prove my point. suffice it to say that i am generally believed to be a fourteen year old now. but that's just when people see me. or at least it was.

yesterday, i answered the home phone and you know what the lady on the other line told me?she said, "oh hi. can i talk to your mommy?" in that voice reserved specially for little kids you don't know. what the hell. this was before i got a chance to say anything more than hi. my voice cannot sound that young. when i explained to her that my parents were out, she asked if there were any other adults at home. um yeah... me. i'm not sure if she believed me, but she left her message all the same.

my whole life i've gotten that i either sounded exactly like my mom on the phone or exactly like my sisters who in turn sound like my mom. last time i checked, my mom does not get asked to put her mommy on the phone when she answers. i'm turning twenty two in a few days, you'd think my voice at least would show it. it makes no sense to me.

*You Make Me Feel So Young - Frank Sinatra

2 comments:

  1. whatever, better to be called young than to be called old.

    that's what i say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. normal young is one thing. getting talked to like a two year is an entirely different thing altogether.

    ReplyDelete