Thursday, January 20, 2011

and there are some things i'll never understand

last night was weird. it was mostly spent in half-sleep, but i clearly remember having julian casablancas, from the strokes, in my dream. this is weird because a) i don't think i've ever had a singer appear in my dreams before ever, and b) though i like the strokes, and you only live once has been on my list of all time favorite songs for years, i am nowhere near a die-hard fan. also, my first thought on waking up was, "what's the date? maha's [a friend] birthday is coming up soon." not that there's anything wrong with remembering a friend's birthday, but i thought it was an odd very first thought to have, even before the usual "what is that obnoxious noise? oh, the alarm." but she's a strokes fan so maybe it had something to do with the dream (which i don't really remember too well)? i dunno.

on a completely unrelated note (because aren't those just the best of the best?), i went downstairs the other morning to find my brothers glued to the tv screen. not that big of a deal really, because it seems like they are either wrestling or stuck to some screen or another, but i glanced at the tv to see what had them so engrossed anyway. they were watching a pirate movie. a lego pirate movie. because apparently animation and live actors are so overdone we need little lego men to take over hollywood. but they're not just taking over hollywood; they're taking over the world. i mean, really, when did legos become so popular? they have stores and amusement parks and movies and video games and board games and boxed sets and god only knows what else. how did this happen?

you know what i remember most about legos growing up? i remember stepping on a piece that we forgot to put away and dying from the sheer torturous pain of it. i remember sticking two blocks together and then spending hours trying to pull them apart again. i remember flipping through the zillion ideas they give you of what to make, though everything they suggest would take hours, if not days, and would probably need more pieces than were in the box. i preferred flexiblocks and tinker toys.

maybe it's just me, though. my brothers seem to enjoy their legos, and my grandma was just saying a couple of weeks ago how it was the only toy that could keep my uncle and his best friend calm when they were kids. but really, do people like them so much that they want to watch movies and play video games of them? is a lego board game really any more fun than, say, clue? (i wouldn't know as i have yet to play one, but i'm guessing not.)

*Last Straw - Jack's Mannequin 

7 comments:

  1. oh my god, oh my god, oh my god. The mere mention of his name makes my wee heart soar to the heavens like a white dove would. See, now he just makes me say crazy things. How I love them, and him, oh jules.

    I must say, I'm really happy that your strokes instincts directly lead you to me, it makes me feel like a proud mama :']

    and if you remember the dream, then I suggest you share it as soon as possible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol the way you love them/him so much makes me want to become a bigger fan of them more than anything else. you should be their official publicity person thingie.

    oh, and happy birthday! i know it was yesterday and told anisah in the morning, "today's maha's birthday. remind me to contact her." but unfortunately i suck at all forms of communication :/ sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's cool man, I suck as well, but thanks ^_^

    and you really should get into them, they are the bees knees, seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LEGOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Come on, lego videos and the lego games are BRILLIANT!!!!!

    Lego Harry Potter all the way - we even have a lego harry potter board game that you have to build to play

    ReplyDelete
  5. to be honest, i never actually watched a lego video, but it just doesn't seem like something i'd be able to get into. maybe next time one is on, i'll give it a shot so that i can actually support my opinion of them.

    and i've seen the commercial for that harry potter board game, but there are just too many painful (literally) memories attached to the little blocks for me to actually go out and buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. anonymous hippopotamusJanuary 26, 2011 at 11:13 AM

    "you know what i remember most about legos growing up? i remember stepping on a piece that we forgot to put away and dying from the sheer torturous pain of it. i remember sticking two blocks together and then spending hours trying to pull them apart again. i remember flipping through the zillion ideas they give you of what to make, though everything they suggest would take hours, if not days, and would probably need more pieces than were in the box. i preferred flexiblocks and tinker toys."

    my exact memories of this horrid toy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. maybe we were us weird kids, though. everyone else seems to like them.

    ReplyDelete