Tuesday, February 8, 2011

i haven't thought of you lately at all

remember my very first post on this blog ever? yes, it was a million years ago, i know. before most (read: any) of you even knew this thing existed, before i got divorced from capital letters, and before i gave up using my blog as a place to store pointless rambles. oh wait, i still haven't managed to get out of that phase. oh well.

anyway, in that post that changed the world (or, you know, didn't) i talked about a random guy in my class that watched me doodle. fast forward to last night. i'm sitting at the back of the class scribbling in the margins of my notebook (old habits die hard) and listening to the stories my professor is telling because they're actually really interesting, despite the fact that they're about accounting. people are commenting and asking questions and suddenly i hear a voice that sends me back to the middle of my undergrad years. the voice starts by saying that he just added the class and then makes some comparison between mechanics and japan's marketing strategy or something. i look up, and lo and behold, it's him! the guy from my very first post. 

okay, forgive me if i sound like a jerk here, but i was so not expecting to see him in any of my master's classes. (okay, so maybe i'm a valley girl jerk.) the fact that he didn't pass the class we took together led me to unfairly judge him as someone who probably wouldn't be pursuing a master's degree. but i was wrong. obviously. anyway, i didn't get a chance to talk to him after class because he had to talk to the professor about stuff he missed, but it was an awesome surprise nonetheless. 

*We Used to be Friends - The Dandy Warhols

5 comments:

  1. Lol. You don't sound like a jerk... In relation to your first post - many people used to watch me doodle/ write/ read/ cross-sticth/ do whatever I felt like if I could get away with it. I filled a whole book just with random doodlings... some pages were quite arty - so I didn't like them :p

    And I guess people can be surprising. You don't sound mean at all. People make impressions on others and it is surprising when something happens that breaks that impression. Maybe he'll start watching you doodle again :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, i dunno, i felt bad judging someone as an academic slacker just because i knew he failed a class which we usually spent entirely on sporcle.

    i've done doodling, reading, and writing, but cross-stitching? lol how do you get away with that one? i always felt that i should learn how to cross-stitch, but i never did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was never noticed to be doing whatever in class, including sleeping...

    I'm still working on that gift for tom. He found out what it was ages ago, when I wanted to give it him.... but still going. It's a 14"x9" cross stitch of our first photo together (my FB pic). Love cross stitch. Is really relaxing

    ReplyDelete
  4. i dunno if it was because i always had really small classes, but the teachers always noticed. a lot of them let me get away with the stuff cause i was a good student, but they knew what i was up to.

    and that is a seriously awesome gift. sounds like it would take forever, though. how much have you finished of it? i used to really like latch hooking, but it would take a while to get through one design. i don't have much experience, but i think cross stitching would take even longer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our classes were small. Only a few teachers ever seemed to notice. Lol

    Spent ages so far... About 60 hours give our take. Am about 1/3 done, so quite a way to go. However, I have sped up since I started

    ReplyDelete