Wednesday, February 16, 2011

would you miss me today if i met you tomorrow?

i have never once wished that i was dead, at least i'm 99.99% sure i haven't. and if i did, i wasn't being serious. see, i'm too afraid of dying to actually wish it to happen, no matter what is going on in the world. well, not the actual dying itself part, but everything that happens afterwards because, you see, i believe in life after death, and it scares me more than anything else. i have, however, often wished that i was never born. and no, this is not a post that will be discussing any depressed feelings or hatred or anything like that. but whenever i happen to mention the fact that, if given the choice, i probably would have preferred to skip the whole living thing, someone will sneeze the it's a wonderful life crap all over me.

don't get me wrong, i love it's a wonderful life as much as the next person. but while i think it's a great movie, i don't take any great life lessons from it. when someone tells me something like, if you were never born then no one would have ran to the old man with the ladder to save chang from the well and he would have died, i just say that, if i was never born, chang probably wouldn't have been playing around the well at all. what kind of kid chooses to spend a day running around a well alone? anyway, if there was no me, then chang would have been the first son. he would have been named tikitikitembo...etc. he would be better looked after. who knows? maybe with the money saved from only having one child, my mother wouldn't need to do laundry by the river, and she could sit with him. maybe they wouldn't live where we lived. everything would be completely different. you can't ask who would do the things i did, because those things probably wouldn't ever happen or need to be done.

when someone says, but if you were never born, who would romeo fall in love with? the answer is simple. well, rosaline, of course. that relationship would have actually stood a chance, and maybe the story wouldn't have ended with a double funeral. no, he wouldn't be pining over me all day, because i would have never existed. he wouldn't know me. i don't think i believe the whole thing about missing people before you know them. i think that a void in a person's life is not something that can only be filled with one specific person. maybe not everyone can fill it, but if i'm not here, there are at least ten other people that fit the specifications. people are only unique because you generally don't meet the handful of strangers living around the world that are exactly like them.

the worst thing people say is, but people will miss you, and you'll miss them. i have to wonder if these people understand the concept of never being born. you do not miss someone that never existed. and, if you don't exist, you can't miss anyone. i have never once missed my third brother. you know why? because i have no third brother. he doesn't miss me either, though, so we're cool. i have never once missed the years i spent in france, simply because i have never been to france in my entire life.

i'm not trying to belittle anyone here, honestly, and if you think that if you were never born then there would be a you-shaped void in the world, well, maybe there would be. who am i to tell you differently? but don't try and be my guardian angel. next time a bell rings, you won't be getting your wings, so please stop trying.

*Would You Miss Me - Amy Kuney

4 comments:

  1. i am a firm believer in newton's third lawwww. lol plus fate is maktoob on god's law7a haha.
    for every force there is an equal and opposite force. loosely interpreted for this situation, since you areee born, in this universe you are considered a force. either F1 or F2.
    there are events that happen because you are born, because you live and interact with the world, etc. so if you are not born, there is (italicize is) sort of a... you-shaped void, a representation of a way things would have happened if you were born. and maybe you are a force that happened because something else happened.
    either way, we have no choice, we are all forces, and we don't ever have a clue of the scope of our impact. so.. i don't think it's quite fair to assume you are so insignificant that only timbuktu's well-drowning survival is all you're good for. maybe you stepped on a dying species of grass, picked up a seed, and dropped it in land with better soil. maybe you are that one person who uses too much energy and sets off the destruction of the universe. who knows? either way, its all maktoob, and there definitely would be a sarah k void in the world if you weren't born.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that was a little preacher-like. haha, i apologize.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't believe that there would be avoid in the world should you not be born, But I do believe that the people you would have known and hence influenced, would be different if they never knew you because you hadn't been born. Things would be different. We influence those around us, and their situations. One of my friends may not even be alive today because they were seriously considering suicide, but then again, they may not have depressed at all. I don't know.

    It reminds me a bit of the song from Wicked - For Good:

    ELPHABA
    I'm limited:
    Just look at me - I'm limited
    And just look at you -
    You can do all I couldn't do, Glinda
    So now it's up to you
    (spoken) For both of us
    (sung) Now it's up to you:

    GLINDA
    I've heard it said
    That people come into our lives for a reason
    Bringing something we must learn
    And we are led
    To those who help us most to grow
    If we let them
    And we help them in return
    Well, I don't know if I believe that's true
    But I know I'm who I am today
    Because I knew you:

    Like a comet pulled from orbit
    As it passes a sun
    Like a stream that meets a boulder
    Halfway through the wood
    Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
    But because I knew you
    I have been changed for good

    ELPHABA
    It well may be
    That we will never meet again
    In this lifetime
    So let me say before we part
    So much of me
    Is made of what I learned from you
    You'll be with me
    Like a handprint on my heart
    And now whatever way our stories end
    I know you have re-written mine
    By being my friend:
    Like a ship blown from its mooring
    By a wind off the sea
    Like a seed dropped by a skybird
    In a distant wood
    Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
    But because I knew you:

    GLINDA
    Because I knew you:

    BOTH
    I have been changed for good

    ELPHABA
    And just to clear the air
    I ask forgiveness
    For the things I've done you blame me for

    GLINDA
    But then, I guess we know
    There's blame to share

    BOTH
    And none of it seems to matter anymore

    GLINDA
    Like a comet pulled

    ELPHABA
    Like a ship blown

    GLINDA
    From orbit as it

    ELPHABA
    Off it's mooring

    GLINDA
    Passes a sun, like

    ELPHABA
    By a wind off the

    GLINDA
    A stream that meets

    ELPHABA
    Sea, like a seed

    GLINDA
    A boulder, half-way

    ELPHABA
    Dropped by a

    GLINDA
    Through the wood

    ELPHABA
    Bird in the wood

    BOTH
    Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
    I do believe I have been changed for the better?

    GLINDA
    And because I knew you:

    ELPHABA
    Because I knew you:

    BOTH
    Because I knew you:
    I have been changed for good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. r... i completely agree that things would be different if i (or any general i) wasn't born, but because i never existed, no one would know the difference. no one would be able to tell that anything was amiss, and there could be someone else to step on the seed of grass or whatever. i'm not saying i'm totally insignificant, but that no one would actually realize my significance because there would be no me.

    it'd be like two alternate realities where there are some common factors/people/forces, but also completely unique ones that would send them spiraling in completely different directions.

    Hannah... yeah, people would not be influenced by me, but they wouldn't miss that influence either because it never existed. and like you said, circumstances may be completely different and they may not need my influence in this alternate reality.

    also, now when i go watch wicked and hear this song, i will undoubtedly think of this post. it does really fit, though.

    ReplyDelete