Tuesday, January 26, 2010

you chew me up and spit me out

according to popular belief, my younger sister and i have a habit of throwing people away. i dont know exactly who started this belief or how it got so popular, but i can't deny its existence any longer. we have gotten variations of this statement from everyone: close friends to almost strangers. we supposedly like to make friends or whatever and then cut all ties with them. sounds like more trouble than it's worth, but i guess people think we find it fun?

despite the fact that so many think this, we refuse to believe them. because we really dont. i swear.

people generally fall into two really broad categories with me: friends and acquaintances. with acquaintances, i am polite and friendly whenever i see them. topics of conversation may be limited, but they exist. i will probably not go in search of an acquaintance's company. friends of mine are different and last lifetimes. it doesnt matter if i havent seen or spoken to you in five hundred years, the next time we talk it will be as if we were just together the day before. i may go through one of my antisocial phases, but that doesnt mean i'm cutting off friendships. and i will initiate contact when i want to.

some people i may know for years and years and they will never progress from acquaintances to friends. others i will meet once and just know they're a friend. there is really no rhyme or reason to what goes on in my head.

point is, whether you are an acquaintance or a friend, i will not dispose of you whenever i feel like it for no reason. i dont bother getting to know people just to experience the nonexistent thrill of cutting them out of my life.

the fact that so many people think this, doesnt hurt. it doesnt make me sad or make me question the way i come off to people. it annoys me. immensely. probably not the right reaction, but whatever.

*Shiver - Maroon 5

9 comments:

  1. I find it difficult to maintain friendships. It all started when, for a period, all the new 'friends' I took time to know and grow to love, turned out to be bitches. So now I just keep my distance. I have my husband and very very few good friends who I know will be there for me no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, your logic makes perfect sense to me. You still do that thing where you snatch ideas from my head and document them on blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.T... that sucks :( i've had a couple of experiences like that, and they are not fun. i dont blame you for keeping your distance now.

    tooly... sometimes i think that when minds were being passed out to everyone ours were copies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorta playin devil's advocate here, but I find it hard to make friends with people I actually want to be friends with (not the random people on the bus who want to tell you how much they love Jesus). As a result, it gets frustrating when people don't repay the favor (which they don't even have to)... I hope that makes an ounce of sense, because it sounded good in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And just to be clear, I have no solution. Just speaking from experience, being an overly sensitive sap and all...

    ReplyDelete
  6. so, wait, are you saying that i do throw people away?? because i dont.

    ReplyDelete
  7. nope. i know you don't throw people away. sometimes people look way too deeply into things and try to interpret every action as a slight or an insult, when that really isn't what's happening.

    ReplyDelete
  8. exactly! even though some of the people who've said this dont even think theyre the ones being thrown out.

    ReplyDelete