Sunday, April 24, 2011

but you could never go back there again

for my sister's birthday last night, after a bunch of family stuff, she and i made popcorn, got root beers, and watched harry potter 7 part 1. actually, it might not have been for her birthday at all. it could have possibly been for mine. the point is, we watched the movie. i'm always halfway jealous of her when she watches these because she stopped reading the books after the fourth one came out. everything is new to her. everything's a surprise. it's the same kind of jealousy i felt when i got my fiance to read the books a few months ago. or when anyone really is freshly introduced into the plot. the stories haven't been new to me for years. i have read and reread them so many times that there are no more surprises. there are no sudden twists or cliffhangers that leave me guessing. i know what's going to happen next. and while i think the wait in between the books - filled with anticipation and wild theories - gives me a level of appreciation that the people who read them all together can never get, while i would never give up the feeling of getting the books the day they were released for anything, while i love the fact that the series was such an integral part of me growing up, i'm still jealous. because i remember the amazingness of the series the first time i read it. and i can never get that back.

i can never read it for the first time again.

*Scenes from an Italian Restaurant - Billy Joel

5 comments:

  1. anonymous hippopotamusApril 25, 2011 at 6:27 AM

    this is so depressing...but i know exactly what you're talking about. I felt the same way when you got engaged. I even told Mommy I was jealous of you because I would never have that butterfly in my stomach feeling again. :(

    life can be so sad if we keep looking at the past...i guess thats why they say keep moving forward. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have a reply to this comment that cannot be written on my blog, and i probably won't email you cause apparently i'm physically incapable of writing emails at the moment. just remind me whenever i talk to you next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. anonymous hippopotamusApril 26, 2011 at 5:32 AM

    email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me email me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's nothing like your first time.

    ReplyDelete