Monday, July 5, 2010

it's not always easy

As I pull these words out, they dig their claws into my throat, leaving gashes deep and long that fill my lungs with blood. It chokes and gags but cannot stop them from leaving. They cling to my teeth, breaking them into jagged shards that cut my lips and rip my tongue. They wrap their hands around my heart with a knuckle-whitening grip, squeezing it so hard it hurts and almost pulling it out with them.

These words race each other to make their way out first. They push and shove to reach my bloody tongue. They turn and rush to my fingers when they find the way blocked. They jump and dive and swerve, unwilling to let anything get in their way. They are leaving me faster than I can think them up, creating themselves when they find me lacking.

These thoughts are poisoning my mind, dripping venom into my bloodstream to kill me from the inside. They're strangling my logic and clouding my judgment. They've turned the rainbow into shades of grey and put out the sun. They leave me gasping for air knowing that I'll never breathe again and choking on doubt and insecurity.

These thoughts are light as air and bright as stardust. They've sprouted wings to fly me somewhere over the rainbow where doubts fade like the morning mist. They paint silver linings on all the clouds and plant fields of wildflowers to fill the world with color. They are free as the wind and pass through like a summer breeze, a moment of clarity in the sweltering heat.

*Better Together - Jack Johnson

14 comments:

  1. anonymous hippopotamusJuly 5, 2010 at 8:53 AM

    creepy...but i like how the ending was sort of hopeful..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you ever had an orgasm by someone's intelligence? Well, I am your victim and you're awesome!

    Don't worry, sooner or later you'll find out who I am.

    My comment kinda matches what you wrote. It's creepy but interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. tooly... thank you!

    anonymous hippopotamus... it's not creepy. and the second paragraph was supposed to be kinda hopeful too. or not hopeful, really, but like sometimes it's hard to drag words out and sometimes they come on their own. hard, easy, bad, good.

    Anonymous... lool umm i'm gonna havta say no. and once again, it's really not creepy; i dont know what you guys are talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm, I'm gonna havta to say I highly doubt that! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. anonymous hippopotamusJuly 6, 2010 at 8:00 AM

    its not creepy in the traditional meaning of the word... but the descriptions are so vivid its a bit creepy to imagine words doing that. you know? dunno if that makes sense...im just waking up and im REALLY annoyed for reasons unknown to me and im still incredibly tired, while zazu mashallah has the energy of 50 people. i'm screwed for today.. i can't wait for naptime. :D

    and i see anonymous has bought a dictionary and perhaps a thesaurus? congrats on that anonymous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I kinda agree with the loser above me but I still don't follow your last comment. You're probably referring to someone else, I think. Or it might be my terrible punctuation. Either way I really feel like cursing the shit out of you but I'll let you go.

    ReplyDelete
  7. anonymous hippopotamus... yeah, that made sense. i get it. and i miss hamza!

    Anonymous... sometimes, you kinda confuse me. first, you doubt what?? second, dictionaries and thesauruses really have nothing to do with punctuation. third, why are you always so ready to start a fight??

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't help it, it's in the blood. And what's so confusing about having orgasms? It's okay, you're not weird and at least I am not judgemental. Punctuations have everything to do with dictionaries. Without punctuation you would n't be able to use words from your so-called dictionary. It's like taking the life out of someone, you know. You kinda sound offended there, you alright?

    ReplyDelete
  9. anonymous hippopotamusJuly 7, 2010 at 4:40 PM

    Do you even know what a dictionary is?? It has absolutely nothing at all to do with punctuation. See let me explain it to you. A dictionary is a book (do you know what that is?) that has a bunch of words in it. It shows you how to spell the words and it explains what each word means. I hope that helps, and if you need an explanation on what a book is feel free to ask. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It really is creepy... creepily fantastic imagery. Almost disturbing how real it feels when reading it. Like the words really do rip and tear :p

    I always say, and will say again... YOU ARE A FANTASTIC WRITER

    Everything you write is so vivid and real. Anyone caan see it and feel it in their mind. Everything, no matter how bizarre or strange seems real, like in a dream. And it's not till you finish reading that you realise that is wasn't feasible in the real world. You could rule the world with your words, locking everyone away into a perfect world, painted by your ink :p

    ReplyDelete
  11. anonymous hippopotamusJuly 8, 2010 at 12:13 AM

    Perfectly said Hannah.. I agree completely.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous and anonymous hippopotamus, I am giving up trying to keep things calm between you two.

    Hannah... your comment seriously made my day. thank you so much! it really means a lot coming from you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. anonymous hippopotamusJuly 8, 2010 at 9:36 AM

    loool but i'm bored and anonymous is such an easy target :)

    ReplyDelete