Monday, July 12, 2010

they said i was strange

i realized the other day that while i name everything i own, a lot of my characters just go by 'she' and 'he.' when i was younger, all of my toys had names. they might not have always been the most creative names (i had a stuffed bear named Stuffy) but they all had names. now, while i may not sit around all day naming toys, i do name practically everything else: my computers, our closet, the birds that live outside my window... they all get names. but when i write short things, the characters are nameless. sometimes, even in longer things it takes a while for the characters to be named/tell me their names. i once wrote a good twenty pages with the character named FNAME LNAME so that i could 'replace all' when i needed to.

also, you may not realize this from my blog, but i dont usually talk about myself. i rarely open up to people, and a lot of those pouring-out-your-heart conversations i have are one-sided. what goes on in my head is likely to stay there. but most of my characters like to be written in first person. they want everyone to know everything that goes on in their heads - what they think is just as important as what they say and do and everyone should be told.

*Ugly - Sugababes

4 comments:

  1. anonymous hippopotamusJuly 12, 2010 at 1:07 PM

    i remember stuffy!!!! :D he was the teddy bear that matched your pajamas right? we each had one..

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah... he had heart pajamas on. he's still around somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. anonymous hippopotamusJuly 13, 2010 at 6:52 PM

    mine was roses...i thought yours was stars..

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmm now i'm not sure :/ i'll check when i get home.

    ReplyDelete