Tuesday, May 3, 2011

so when you look at me you better look hard and look twice. is that me baby or just a brilliant disguise?

Very early in my life it was too late. ~Marguerite Duras, The Lover

And suddenly, as he noted the fine shades of manner by which she harmonized herself with her surroundings, it flashed on him that, to need such adroit handling, the situation must indeed be desperate. ~Edith Wharton, The House of Mirth

It was like sawdust, the unhappiness: it infiltrated everything, everything was a problem, everything made her cry - school, homework, boyfriends, the future, the lack of future, the uncertainty of future, fear of future, fear in general - but it was so hard to say exactly what the problem was in the first place. ~Melanie Thernstrom, The Dead Girl

When I think of all the things he did because he loved me - what people visit on each other out of something like love. It's enough for all the world's woe. You don't even need hate to have a perfectly miserable time. ~Richard Bausch, Mr. Field's Daughter

If you take someone's thoughts and feelings away, bit by bit, consistently, then they have nothing left, except some gritty, gnawing, shitty little instinct, down there, somewhere, worming round the gut, but so far down, so hidden, it's impossible to find. Imagine, if you will, a worldwide conspiracy to deny the existence of the colour yellow. And whenever you saw yellow, they told you, no, that isn't yellow, what the fuck's yellow? Eventually, whenever you saw yellow, you would say: that isn't yellow, course it isn't, blue or green or purple, or.... You'd say it, yes it is, it's yellow, and become increasingly hysterical, and then go berserk. ~David Edgar, Mary Barnes

There's nothing I hate more/ than nothing/ Nothing keeps me up at night/ I toss and turn over nothing/ Nothing could cause a great/ big fight ~Edie Brickell, "Nothing"

People like us, who believe in physics, know that the distinction between past, present, and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion. ~Albert Einstein

I started out on burgundy/ But soon hit the harder stuff./ Everybody said they'd stand behind me/ When the game got rough./ But the joke was on me./ There was nobody even there to call my bluff./ I'm going back to New York City./ I do believe I've had enough. ~Bob Dylan, "Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues"

She is the rain,/ waits in it for you,/ finds blood spotting her legs/ from the long ride. ~Diane Wakoski, "Uneasy Rider"

God have mercy on the man/ Who doubts what he's sure of. ~Bruce Springsteen, "Brilliant Disguise"

I myself am hell ~Robert Lowell, "Skunk Hour"

I'm going out of my mind/ With a pain that stops and starts/ Like a corkscrew through my heart/ Ever since we've been apart ~Bob Dylan, "You're a Big Girl Now"

now it's raining it's pouring/ the old man is snoring/ now i lay me down to sleep/ i hear the sirens in the street/ all my dreams are made of chrome/ i have no way to get back home/ i'd rather die before I wake/ like marilyn monroe/ and throw my dreams out in/ the street and the/ rain make 'em grow ~Tom Waits, "A Sweet Little Bullet from a Pretty Blue Gun"

I know the bottom, she says. I/ know it with my great tap root:/ It is what you fear./ I do not fear it: I have been there. ~Sylvia Plath, "Elm"

After they had explored all the suns in the universe, and all the planets of all the suns, they realized that there was no other life in the universe, and that they were alone. And they were very happy, because then they knew it was up to them to become all the things they had imagined they would find. ~Lanford Wilson, Fifth of July


*Brilliant Disguise - Bruce Springsteen

3 comments:

  1. my heart..

    one, three, eleven: I can't even- ...

    five: this is gold.

    six: my (excuse my dirty tongue) fuckin' life.

    thirteen, fifteen: love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. anonymous hippopotamusMay 4, 2011 at 1:25 PM

    there were some i loved...some i was okay with and some i couldnt for the life of me understand lol

    i would list them but i'm lazy and my back is hurting me SOOOOOOOOO bad i can't even think straight. :'( ouch!

    question though...whats the point of this post? not in a rude way but i am honestly curious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha they're the little quotes at the start of every chapter in this book i have. i liked them and wanted to write them all out to have them together, so i decided to just post them here.

    ReplyDelete