Sunday, July 19, 2009

the words i couldn't say

being bi-lingualish (it's more like lingual and a half most of the year... lingual and three quarters during the summer when my arabic unrusts) i have this problem with words from one language being said in the other. english words said in arabic like computer, pepsi, panda, hot dog... i can't do them. arabic words in english, mostly names, are impossible too. i cant butcher the pronunciation on purpose, even when i try to. my brain knows the right way to say the word and by golly it will say it right. i won't change my p's to b's or my "ح"'s to h's. i refuse. of course, my stubborness can lead to frustrating conversations and time wasted trying to be understood. much like this recent instance:

aunt: so A (remember her?) works at the holiday inn, right?
me: actually, no. she works at the hilton.
aunt: where?
me: umm... the hilton?
aunt: sheraton?
me: no, hilton.
aunt: weston?
me: hilton.
aunt: where?
me: hilton.
aunt: *blank stare*
me: hilton... hilton... hilton...
aunt: *continues with the stare. starts to think i'm making up names to confuse her*
i turn to me sister for help.
sister: the hilton.
aunt: ohh weston.
me and sister: hilton.
my two cousins finally take pity on us and, trying to hold back laughter and smiles, say: hilton (with an arab accent)
aunt: ohh

she then let us know that she thinks we are stupid, even though they were the ones saying it wrong. and really, how different are the two words?? but people have not understood the american way of pronouncing hot dog or panda (a supermarket) either. i dont get it.

*Words I Couldn't Say - Rascal Flatts

1 comment:

  1. loool hilarious...hisham and i couldn't stop laughing. and now we randomly look at each other and say hilton...weston??

    ReplyDelete