Saturday, August 8, 2009

i'll be your best friend

i am a salesman's best friend. really. if they could change every single person in the world into a copy of me, they'd do it in a heart beat - and not just because a world full of me would be the epitome of awesome.

you see, i have this problem with saying no. i've always had it... for as long as i can remember. my friend wanted a stopwatch that i had won from soccer, so i gave it to her. this kid proposed a trade in which i would give him my most favoritest ever batman toy and he would give my sister a little pig figure... of course i agreed. my cousin wanted me to spend a million hours of agonizing boredom with her while she went to beauty school or worked at a beauty salon or whatever it was she did... i went every single day.

i got better as i got older, but the word still sticks to my tongue, downright refusing to be said at times.

so, keeping that in mind, you can just imagine my helplessness with salespeople. for example, we went to this store the other day. a friend asked me to get a camel for her from here. so i go in, get the camel, and go to pay. the cashier immediately pulls out a book about saudi arabia. "wouldn't this be awesome? why don't you get this too?" and what do i say? "umm okay fine" of course. encouraged by my answer, he pulls out something else. i get that too. i keep getting until my sister comes to my rescue. i came out of the store with five things i didnt want, each one a little more expensive than the thing before. if i was alone, i would have probably bought the entire store. my feeble protests are of absolutely no use to anyone - especially not me - although i think they amuse the salespeople.

before you try and go all dr. phil on me, i do not avoid saying no because i want people to like me. and the no's only hide when someone is asking me for something. if anyone is offering anything, the hidden no's come back with a vengence. a lot of the time i just go/give whatever because, to be honest, i don't care about whatever it is. so if you obviously care enough to want something, and i couldn't possibly care any less and still be human, why not give it to you?? except in the case of my batman... that was just me being taken advantage of.

the point is, if you ever find yourself selling anything, be sure to let me know. i'm super good for business.

*Big Girls Don't Cry - Fergie

2 comments:

  1. I used to be like that, but I diligently practiced saying the two lettered work and doggone it, I succeeded!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember in middle school when joharah, mainly, and a great number of our class i think, i dunno, tried to give you an intervention on saying no. To this day I can't forget that bus ride when everyone was looking at you and constucting you how to say no, and the look on your face just begged for the ground to open up and swallon you whole :S

    ReplyDelete