Saturday, August 15, 2009

i'm afraid that this complacency is something i can't shake

the swine flu epidemic. for me, it was over. sure, i heard about the cases that were still cropping up, but i didnt care. not really. it was not as big of a deal as it was when it started (not that i was too worried about it then. i suffer from chronic complacency). not as scary. just another common cold... one that had stayed pretty far away from me. it got a bit closer when when K saw two cases (she works at a hospital), but still not close enough for me to take it seriously.

now, my cousin's husband's family has gotten it. his brother and nephew. his niece (the infected boy's sister) was sent to play with my cousin's kids after her brother got the flu (their mom conveniently forgot to let my cousin and her husband know that she had swine flu in her house). this was three days ago. she's been freaking out that her kids have gotten it, even though they havent shown any symptoms thank god. yesterday, we had our weekly family gathering, to which she brought her two kids. if - god forbid - her kids do have the disease, we would all have been subjected to it.

that should be close enough to shake me a bit, right?? it should make it more real for me... but it's not. i'm still as close to apathetic about it as i was from the beginning.

*Be My Escape - Relient K

2 comments:

  1. that's crazy, in my head the swine flu is as big a joke as it's name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the exact same way. I don't believe in germs, either. Not the scary kind, at least.

    ReplyDelete