Tuesday, October 13, 2009

tears of pain, tears of joy

don't force big words. small words can mean big things. can make you feel. love and hate, joy and grief... all small words.

“I don't want to die,” she breathes.
“You won't,” I vow. “I won't let you.”
“I'm scared." Her voice is soft, and she lets her eyes close as if it's too much to try and stop them.
“Don't be. You'll be fine.” I hold strong to my hope, but my voice breaks. Her pale as a ghost face, short breaths, and the pool of blood that grows and stains the ground taunt my words.
Her mouth stays shut, but her eyes find mine. In spite of her words, I find no fear in them. Just the will to resign. A mute plea for me to let her go. And guilt. Leave it to her to take the blame for death. It does not ease my pain. It makes it worse.
“You will not die,” I spit out through clenched teeth. She can not give up. She can not leave me. Not here. Not now. “You can't.”
Her hand moves and I grasp it in both of mine. “It will be all right,” she says, but her words are faint, her breath snags. Her body calls her on her lie.
When did she start to try to put me at ease? I shake my head as tears slip down my cheeks. It won't be all right. Not if she leaves. It can't be all right. Ever.
“I love you.” The words only just make a sound, but they are all I can hear. She says them in a tone that could mean just one thing.
“Don't. Don't you dare say good bye,” I growl. “Don't you dare give up.”
I wait, but she says no more. I keep my gaze fixed on her eyes as I will her to stay with me.
But she doesn't . With a breath the same as all the rest, she fades. The light leaves her eye. The rise and fall of her chest is stilled. But the blood still flows.
“I love you, too,” I say. You can not quite make out the words through the tears in my voice. Tears which blur my sight and block her death from my eyes and brain. “I love you, too,” I sob.
But my oaths fall on deaf ears. She is gone. And I am on my own.
***

so i was discussing words with someone the other day, and they said that in order to get a point across and sound intelligent doing it, you have to use big words. i disagreed. i said that you could say almost anything in one syllables. i wrote that thing up there a year or two ago (you can tell by the writing) and changed it a bit to make it all one syllable words (which turns out to be harder than it seems. try finding one syllable words for stuff like barely and agree :/). so yes, it may not be worded in the exact way i wanted it to be, but i think it does a good enough job to get the point across and doesnt sound too awkward. so i win. small words can be just as powerful as big ones.

*We Are One - The Lion King 2 Soundtrack

8 comments:

  1. I completely agree with the redundancy of big words. It's more about eloquence than showing intelligence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :S the redundancy of big words?? what is that even supposed to mean?

    anyways....about the blurb...only is not a one syllable word.. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. aw man and i reread the thing three times to catch any multi-syllable words i may have missed. but you get the point anyways...

    ReplyDelete
  4. The words only just make a sound, but they are all I can hear. She says them in a tone that could mean just one thing.

    i think you got your point across though....well at least i got it..

    ReplyDelete
  5. yeah i found it after your comment. actually, i had to use ctrl f because i really didnt see it. i decided not to take it out, though, because a) your comment wont make sense and b)i really dont care thaaat much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never use a big word when there is a short word that means exactly the same thing. But there are lots of big words for which there is no precise equivalent. 'Counterintuitive' is one that springs to mind.

    ...and try explaining the theory of evolution in words of one syllable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. of course there are some times when you have to use a big word. i was talking more about the people who use big words when they don't really fit just so they can sound smart.

    ReplyDelete