Friday, April 3, 2009

can't you see that you're smothering me?

so i was talking to my sister and we were discussing the obnoxiousness that is people. well, one obnoxious aspect about them, namely the way people read too much into things. i write something and automatically it's written about me or about someone i know. i say something random and it's a subtle response to something someone else said six million years ago. everything has ten different shades of meaning, and usually none of them are right.
if i write that a girl jumped off a bridge, it does not mean that i have suicidal thoughts. it does not mean that i'm mad at someone and am hoping that she'll jump off a bridge. it does not mean that i feel like a bridge and people are jumping off of me while i'm stuck in one place. it's just an imaginary girl jumping off an imaginary bridge. that's it. i'm not saying that it can never mean anything, but unless you know for sure, don't read your own thoughts into my words. sure, you can read it and think, "wow that's exactly like my great aunt mary," but odds are that was not my intent. so don't tell me it was. last i checked, the world did not have access to my mind, which means that unless i choose to share with you every thought behind every word i write or thing i say, then you really have no idea what i mean by it. think whatever you want to about it, but know that they are your thoughts, not mine.


*Numb - Linkin Park

1 comment: