Wednesday, April 8, 2009

the future freaks me out

every time i open my email i'm flooded with emails about my graduation. buy your cap and gown. apply for grad school. get a job. i still have a semester to go, a notice someone didn't get when they put me on the graduate listserve. but thats not the point. the point is that every single time i see one of those emails, i panic. like for real panic. i'm going to graduate from college in eight months. that's less than a year. and half of that time is spent vacationing. and i have no idea what i want to do with the rest of my life. none at all. and it seems like everyone else i know is on a path to somewhere while im treading water.

i'm 99% sure that i'll end up in grad school, but only as a way to procrastinate entering the real world. i have no idea what i would study. yeah i'm interested in computer forensics and have thought about that, but can i see myself out there in work force doing that? not really. i can't see myself doing anything. i was not made for the real world.

even the people i speak to who are having trouble with the whole school/life thing right now know what they want to do. they have some vision of the future that they're trying to get to. they have a goal. i am goalless. i have always been goalless. that's probly why i dont get worked up over school. it's never really been a goal of mine to graduate with good grades and a good degree. i'm really only going to school for my parents and the fact that there's nothing better to do.

i like school. i'm good at it. i don't stress, don't get overwhelmed. it's all routine. yes i complain about it most of the time, but honestly, i don't really think i want it to end (hence the grad school). i have the mentality of an 8 year old, and where do 8 year olds belong? in school. not out in the workforce doing god knows what.

i have been very fortunate in life so far. i have never had to get a job, never really had to work at anything. i have been very sheltered. but now, in less than a year i'm supposed to leave the safe harbor of academia and enter the real world. and i am in no way prepared.

so when i get emails inviting me to a graduate's bruncheon, i do not think 'oh yay a way to celebrate my achievements.' i think 'oh crap now what am i supposed to do?'. as much as i complain about the present, i dont really think i want the future.

*The Future Freaks Me Out - Motion City Soundtrack

4 comments:

  1. This may sound stupid but you should totally write for a computers magazine. You got the nerdy geeky computers thingy down, so that might be a good fit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. umm thanks?? but im not a big enough IT geek for that. you should see the ppl in my classes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't even want to imagine the geekiness that goes on there. I can imagine: big dorks with glasses bigger than their entire faces and five foot teeth. But seriously, check it out yo. PC World or something? Might be fun, you never know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm the opposite, I'm fed up with school..I used to be good in school but now I'm just dwindling in my studies and grades..I just wanna go out there and work..

    Set aside my real dreams and just work to avoid all this schooling :S

    ReplyDelete